Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windev 12 and MS SQL 2005

Posted by steve erts 
steve erts
Windev 12 and MS SQL 2005
April 09, 2009 01:40AM
Hi,

I have a potential client that wants me to use Microsoft Sequel Server 2005 rather than MySQL which has been my default Windev Database of choice up to now.

I know I'll need to purchase the MS SQL Native Access gateway for Windev but I was wondering if there are any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of before agreeing to proceed with this project in MSSQL?

Thanks so much!

Steve
Andres Sanchez
Re: Windev 12 and MS SQL 2005
April 09, 2009 02:01AM
You dont have to buy a Native Access, you can access SQL Server via OLE DB.

I have several apps with MS SQL and OLE DB access.

Cheers

Andres Sanchez
Monterrey Mexico
steve erts
April 09, 2009 02:11AM

are there any limitations going this route?

Andres Sanchez
You dont have to buy a Native Access, you can access SQL Server via OLE DB.

I have several apps with MS SQL and OLE DB access.

Cheers

Andres Sanchez
Monterrey Mexico
steve erts
April 09, 2009 02:20AM
One more question..

If I do go the "native access" route do I need to by a license for myself to develop AND one for my client when I deploy?
Glenn Rathke
April 09, 2009 03:14AM
Hi

The native access route will let you import views directly. I purchased it so everything would behave as would be expected when compared to MySQL and native access.

Glenn
Jimbo
April 09, 2009 05:37AM
steve erts
One more question..

If I do go the "native access" route do I need to by a license for myself to develop AND one for my client when I deploy?

Hi Steve,

YES, each MS SQL Server has to have its own license for Native Access! There are price reductions for buying more than one piece at a time down to about 400,- Euro per piece when buying 50 of them at a time. I'd recommend to buy at least one piece beforehand in order to see whether its worth it or not. OLEDB is not as fast as Native Access but if you do some redesign of your software / Queries and can avoid reading full file contents of the big files ...

Kind regards,
Guenter
Milton
April 09, 2009 06:02AM
Hi Steve,

We use MSSQL with OLE DB access on a 200 plus table database with between 1 and 2 million records in a number of tables. As Guenter says, if you use properly structured queries, speed is not an issue. We do run in a Citrix environment but can, nearly as quickly, make smaller queries direct from a workstation to the server, over our LAN.

We have been deploying applications in this format for some time now and have around 200 users on the system and have no real issues.

HTH

Milton
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.