Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ODBC Access

Posted by Art Bonds 
Art Bonds
ODBC Access
March 14, 2009 06:57PM
I have multiple OBDC providers in the Windows XP ODBC Data Source Administrator, under both User DSN and System DSN.

When I go to use one of these ODBC sources, I would expect to see the sources under Types of Databases. None of the sources are there, so I choos Other.

This brings up the Settings of 'Other' connection box. So I fill it out and hit the next (>) button.

This brings me to Creating the connections / Settings of 'Other connection. I see all the native drivers (not installed), Access, Excel, HTML and <none>. It does say "If the requested type of connection is not displayed in the list below, you must install its OLE DB".

So what happenned to ODBC? Can we not use ODBC anymore? I thought I remember we could at one time pick it from a list.

Thanks, Art

Milton
Re: ODBC Access
March 14, 2009 11:45PM
Hi Art,

I used to use ODBC access with System DSN but found the OLEDB access much better in that you did not have to define an ODBC connection on the server to which not eveyone may have access rights.

However, if you are using ODBC connections you select ODBC Access via OLEDB in the connection types.and use the sytem DSN as the datasource name.

HTH

Milton
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.