Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: Do not use on-board RAID !

Posted by Jimbo 
Jimbo
OT: Do not use on-board RAID !
March 13, 2009 05:58PM
Hi,

I know this is off-topic, but it caused me more than just slight troubles!

I already had bad reports in regards to on-board RAID systems but did not believe them. This one has been an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with even two RAID systems on board! At first, when testing my work, it seemed that the HSeek(..) and HSeekFirst(..) commands did not work as they should. A few days later things went bad, really bad and at last I had to revert to a former backup.

Looking back, all started with installing the Windows Vista Service Pack 2, release candidate build 6002 on March 7th. It obviously had some impact on the drivers for the RAID-subsystem and slowly, things began to fail. Some blue screens were added later on. At first I just I did a system restore to the point before SP 2 had been installed, but that did not really help. On the day before yesterday Vista stopped to work with an unsynced RAID array and heaps of blue screens. Recovery included removal of the RAID configuration and using a single hard disk without mirroring.

Kind regards,
Guenter
KenKnight
Re: OT: Do not use on-board RAID !
March 14, 2009 01:19AM
Thank you for the heads up Guenter.

Cheers!
Ken
Al
Re: OT: Do not use on-board RAID !
March 14, 2009 04:03AM
Hello Guenter

We normally specifiy Adaptec cards and never use onboard because it can be a problem to source the same motherboard even 6 months later if there are problems. We also try and get hard disks from different batches to minimize the chance of mutliple failures.

Regards
Al
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.