Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Clarion vs WinDev

Posted by Raul Rego 
Raul Rego
Clarion vs WinDev
February 25, 2009 11:39PM
Any one here that has used Clarion and is now using Windev? Any pro/cons.

I love clarion because of the RAD features. Most of my APPS probably have 25% or less of manual code. All other come from the Application develover.

Does WinDev create stand alone executables?

Thanks,

Raul Rego
rrego@njpies.org
Ruben Sanchez Peña
Re: Clarion vs WinDev
February 26, 2009 02:17AM
Hi Raul. Your question is very frecuent in this forum.

I was a 14 year Clarion developer. Clarion stay on "stone age". It hasn't changed in ten years, and now all the other tools use "templates" to generate code and write less code. No advantage.

No current advantage using RAD features of Clarion over Windev. Windev can generate a complete RAD application like Clarion. The "standard" Clarion Templates generate a very poor and static application. Only the access to data and Window management. If you want make "serious" applications you must write a lot of code or buy more templates. I bought much templates for my applications when i use Clarion.

Windev has a diferent point of view. The Clarion "Template" paradigm is changed in Windev by a "function/library" paradigm. The most important Templates of Clarion are included with Windev like library of functions. Clarion ABC templates generate the same code lines each time you generate a new application.... The developer don't use this code, but it must be supported with application. In Windev you only write the code lines needed for your application. Easy maintenance, easy read and easy change.

The Windev IDE is perfect to write, debug, optimize, distribute and evolute your application. The Clarion IDE is a painful software editor: no intellisense, no Activex support, 16 bits, ...

My Windev application can use .NET libraries. I can generate JAVA applications with RAD, ....

I don't use Clarion in last 4 years. All my Clarion applications was ported to Windev.

Windev is other thing.

Windev doesn't generate a "standalone" application. It need a "framework" of DLLs to work, and a "just in time" compiler when the application run (like .NET or Java).

Rubén Sánchez Peña

Marius
February 26, 2009 04:55AM
Hi Raul

I've used Clarion for 12 years and in 2000 jumped ship.

They say "never say never", but that is how I feel about Clarion. Windev (my opinion) is light years ahead of Clarion and I read the Clarion 7 Beta group every Friday and I feel sorry for those guys who still struggle with issues that are solved many years ago in Windev.

I've moved all my Clarion Apps to WD and I am very glad I did.

I suggest that you download WD's demo and try it out. You might find that you never look back to Clarion again.

What I like about WD is that the debugger is very easy to use. Code are also not run twice like in Clarion. Embeded code is straight forward unlike Clarion who tries to confuse you. No third party tools needed as everything is included in WD. Too many clicks in Clarion to achieve something. WD's IDE is absolutely fantastic. Support from PCSoft is not bad and the only thing I don't like about WD is that they release only one update before they release the next version.

Windev DOES create stand alone exe files.

Regards
Marius
Mitchell
February 26, 2009 06:47AM
Hi Raul,

I also used clarion 10 years ago. Only one thing I can share "Never look Back..."

Mikz
Milton
February 26, 2009 09:45AM
Hi Raul,

I also used Clarion for many years but in 2005 switched to Windev. I find I can do so much more with Windev with a lot less effort and every time there is a Windev upgrade I no longer have to upgrade a load of templates and add-ons as they all ship with Windev.

I don't want to knock Clarion but I simply find, for me at least, Windev is so much better to get an application to market quickly. It took me about 3 months of hard work to come to grips with Windev which I did by porting one of my Clarion applications. After this period I felt comfortable in working with Windev. Mind you, I learn something new every day even now because Windev is so feature rich.

Hope this helps,

Milton
Ola Pedersen
February 26, 2009 01:13PM
Hi Raul,

I am also a "RAD lover":-)

I have used Clarion (CPD 2.006-2.110) since 1988 or so, and use it still today to maintain and even develop my everyday production data system. Excellent RAD and still - after all these years - works like a dream, and best of all: no bugs! No wasted time; developes at least a 100 times faster than WD.

Also I tried to use Clarion for Windows until version 1.5 and then dropped it in favour of Windev 5.5. Both were Crap with a capital C. Since then the development of CW has been slow and limited, while WD has developed very fast - actuallly too fast to my liking: they are more eager to collect the money for the new version than to kill all the bugs - but I suppose this is a world-wide problem in software development...

The more current Windev versions (mine is ver. 11 - seems to be good enough for me for the time being...) are simply superior in most respects when compared to the Clarion for Windows that I used.

There is one major drawback in Windev, though: Windev's (ver. 11) RAD is one-way only, while Clarion's (all versions, including CPD) is two-way. And this really is a MAJOR drawback. In Clarion you can generate the window(s), then change their interface, and if necessary, you can do changes to the model files (Templates) and then generate again, and again, and again... without losing any manual changes you made to the window code!

In Windev, you can generate only once, and then, the minute you add/change any code to a window, such as field edit code, or arrange the position or order of the controls (fields), you are stuck with what you generated. A new generation would overwrite all your manual changes.

In Windev, you first have to develop the model files to your own liking before you want use them, and then, when you have generated your windows, you just have to forget your model files - they are not used any more for that application.

Of course the data dictionary (or analysis as it is called in WD) should also be developed first, before doing the generation - but naturally this is necessary in Clarion, too.

There are some alternative tools in WD that - if heavily used - can (partly) compensate for the lack of a real two-way RAD, such as adjustable subscription to master controls, procedures etc., and code bricks (which mostly crashes my WD whenever I try to use it).

best regards
Ola Pedersen
[www.pienoismalli.com]

P.S. The current WD version (12) also has another, new RAD system, and the old (11) RAD is partly crippled. I wonder whether the new RAD is one- or two-way? The brochure gives hints to the effect, that it might be 2-way, but then some more experienced WD RAD users on this forum have condemned it totally useless. The next WD version (14) announces no major improvements to the new RAD of ver. 12.

Ruben Sanchez Peña
February 26, 2009 01:36PM
Hi Ola. The "old" WD11 RAD generate the code only a time. The "new" WD12 RAD generate the windows each time you modify the analysis or the Template. Yes, you have templates in WD12. You has Window Templates and Control Templates. When you create an application or Window you can define the RAD Model and Templates to use on it.

You can also generate your own templates to reuse the layout and code on Windows and controls. You can heritage and apply various templates to same control or Window.

The Clarion RAD template system is "Monolitic". It does ever the same thing with ever same code and layout. Windev template system can be parametrized.

If you add a field to your analysis the IDE and RAD system add this control to all indows using this table.

Rubén
Victoria Caballero.pcs.crosspost
February 26, 2009 02:16PM
Hi Raul,
I've also been working with Clarion since 1997 and in the middle of
2007 in the company I work now they decided to buy the 3 tools from PC
Soft. Right now I'm working with the 3 products (Windev, Webdev, and
Windev mobile) at the same time making new projects and I feel really
happy working with all these tools.
At the same time I'm still working with Clarion in an old project and
every time I⤙ve to write the code in the Clarion editor I start to cry.

I agree 100% with all the guys answer to you before. I guess they are
right about all the advantages and disadvantages they describe.
I⤙ve a 4 pages Word document with all the ⤽features⤝ I found
interesting in these products compared with Clarion. I⤙ve prepared this
document 3 weeks ago because some guys from Clarion forum ask me the
same you asked here so if you want this document just send me an email.

Regards.

Victoria Caballero

Raul Rego explained on 26/02/2009 :
> Any one here that has used Clarion and is now using Windev? Any pro/cons.
> I love clarion because of the RAD features. Most of my APPS probably have
> 25% or less of manual code. All other come from the Application develover.
> Does WinDev create stand alone executables? Thanks,
> Raul Rego
> rrego@njpies.org

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Robert Cain.pcs.crosspost
February 26, 2009 04:44PM
I switched over to WinDev in 2004, because at that time I had serious doubts about the long-term viability of SoftVelocity -- I simply couldn't risk the vendor of my development tools going out of business. Anyway, 5 years later, I am now writing applications that I could only dream about in Clarion ... another benefit, and your mileage may vary, but my income has gone up significantly since making the switch. Clarion got me started in software development, and for that I am grateful ... WinDev has taken my projects to a whole new level - your clients will definitely notice the difference.

issah
February 26, 2009 05:34PM
Wow, this question, used to stop this forum.

Most of us who started with Windev 5.5 came from Clarion or heard about it on the clarion forum. when questions were asked comparing the two, Clarionistas would take a defensive position as if Windev was trying to steal their developers.

I am happy at the responses in that no one is ridiculing Clarion, but giving their honest impressions. Competition is good and this is a good opportunity for both sides to evaluate their preferred product. It benefits the software industry in the long run. Without competition, we would all probably be using Dbase 5+in a DOS window.

Regards

issah
Ola Pedersen
February 26, 2009 07:39PM
Hi Rubén

Thanks for the description of the WD12 RAD. The word "template" often means different things when talking about RADs. Does it mean here a model file (like FORM.MDL in WD11) containing the scripting code for the window, or something else?

Can you specify in the ver. 12 analysis different captions for form controls and for table (and report) columns? For instance, if you have a 2 digits long field called Product.Discount_Code, you would need captions like "Discount code" for forms and "DC" for tables and reports.

Can you add field edit code for forms in the analysis, to be included in the generated form type window?

Does the new RAD maintain all the multilingual field captions that have been entered in the analysis in earlier versions? In one of the earlier versions of WD (I don't remember which) all my multilingual field captions were messed up (I suppose by Windev when I was upgrading).

Ola

Charles Jolly
February 26, 2009 07:41PM
Since the 2008 I'm with WX, came from Clarion (CPD/DC/CW) and I do not regret.

The comparison is difficult, I think the more honest and serious is to compare a version more old from WD that does not have so many features such as at present and compare with CW6/7, or collect everything developed for Clarion by third parties (and this is tooooo... many third parties) as a single (and possibly will stay short) plus CW6/7 and then try to compare with the current version of WD.

regards
Charles
Gus
February 26, 2009 10:28PM
Hi Victoria:
Please, could you send me this document?
(I tried to send you an email, but I got an invalid address)

Thanks;
Gus ( gussabina at yahoo dot com )
Ruben Sanchez Peña
February 27, 2009 08:26PM
Hi Ola.

In WD12 new RAD you don't use the "old" MDL files. You design your window model in the Window Designer and save it like Template. Then you can use this window model in all your new windows.

If you include code in window controls, then this code is used in new windows generated with the template. You can override controls from model in your window (move, delete, change size...) in graphical mode.

The RAD maintain the multilingual field captions from analysis in your application. If you make a change in your analysis (change field name or caption or input mask...) the changes are reproduced in all windows using this field.

Of course you can define in analysis if a field or table must be included in RAD regeneration.

Rubén
Art Bonds
February 27, 2009 08:38PM
Victoria, can you post that document here so we can all receive the benefit of your research?

Thanks, Art
Ola Pedersen
February 28, 2009 12:34AM
Thanks again, Rubén

I think I now grasp the concept of ver 12 RAD template, with the possible exception of "overloading controls". Can you explain this a little? Is it something like subscribing to controls in the dictionary of ver 11? In other words, you can change the external properties, such as size, but you cannot touch the actual code without changing also the code in all other similar subscriber controls, or cancelling the subscription?

Additional questions about the version 12 template RAD (if you can still bear with my questions:-):

Does it actually work without problems?

Is it well documented?

Can you also make a report template?

Can you specify in the analysis different captions for form controls and for table (and report) columns? For instance, if you have a 2 digits long field called Product.Discount_Code, you would need two separate captions, like normal length "Discount code" for forms and short "DC" for tables and reports.

Can you add field edit code for forms in the analysis items (fields), to be included in the generated form type window's controls?

In your opinion, what are the benefits of the ver. 12 RAD over the old ver. 11 RAD? If I can code all the features and bells and whistles I need and want into my model files, then what can the ver 12 RAD give over that? I assume that it is easier to code "direct code" to a master window rather than doing model/template code in the model files? Any other benefits?

Ola
Ruben Sanchez Peña
February 28, 2009 07:49PM
Hi Ola.

"overloading controls"? You can define a control in your model and change its properties or code in the real window. You can change the position and size of template controls. You can call from your control code to template code with the "ancestor" word. This is because the window controls are heritage from template controls (template controls are the "object" and window controls are the "instances").

Works without problems? My last five applications were generated with it.

Documented? You don't need write code like in WD11 RAD MDL files. You only draw your model and use it.

Report Template? I only know about Window and Control templates. Which would you put in a report template?

Captions? You only can define a Caption by field, and this is used in forms and tables. Your sample it is especific.

You define the code in template, not in analysis.

The versión 11 only exist in WD12 for compatibility with older versions. No changes or updates.

The templates/Model allow you configure all your application windows in a same place. All the repetitive code can be write in a template and then it will be repeated in all the window using this template. You can of course add new code in your real windows.

Rubén

Ola Pedersen
March 01, 2009 09:13AM
Rubén,

I appreciate your detailed answers.

Report templates I would like to have in order to standardize the headers and footers, for instance. So that by default all new reports would have some fields from the parameter file, such as user's logo, name and contact info, possibly an underlying watermark too.

Two captions, one for forms and another one for reports/tables, are needed for all short "code" and "terms" type fields. In my app there are many such fields. In forms its is good to have the full long descriptive caption, but in reports and tables a short caption (= not longer than the actual data) for a short field/column would save editing time. I think that Clarion's latest versions have this feature.

Let me summarize:
I understand that up to and including the actual generation of new windows, WD's old models and new templates work about the same, except that templates are easier to develop than models. The real difference comes after the generation: if you need to change any code in all the generated windows, you change the code in the tamplate, and then the changes will be inherited by all the windows that were generated using that template. Did I get it right?

Please clarify one more thing for me:
How do the changes in the template and the real window mix, in practice? If a real window has a local procedure (or control) inherited from the template, and I have made manual changes in the code of the real window's procedure (or control), and then I make a change also to the code of the procedure (or control) in the template, do they really mix, or does one overwrite the other?

Ola
Ruben Sanchez Peña
March 02, 2009 11:55AM
Hi Ola.

The standard Clarion Report template doesn't have diferent captions for diferent window types or reports. You only have a caption for all. With 3er party templates i don't know. I have Report Wizard template and it hasn't various captions. I speak about C6. I have C7, but i don't make nothing with it.

In WD when you generate a new window from a Template you can "overrride" any the controls included in template and then change the properties and code. You can make this for each control in window. Then you can use a "template" for the window and change only the controls you want. You can put the code before or after the template code for this control, or you can eliminate the template code and use your code.

Rubén
tfischbeck
March 03, 2009 12:20AM
Raul… you started a great discussion.

Victoria at your convenience, please email to me a copy of your comparison document. It would be very useful to me.

I hope to see you all at the 2009 WinDevCon in Amelia Island, FL :rp:

Best Regards,

Tim Fischbeck
tim.fischbeck@eidetik.com
Ola Pedersen
March 03, 2009 02:38PM
Thanks Rubén,

I think I now have a basic understanding of the new RAD.

I may have to upgrade, although quite similar results (ease of code maintainability) can be achieved also in WD11 simply by replacing the RAD-generated buttons (and some of the local procedures) by subscription to buttons and local procedures from the WD dictionary. But modifying/maintaining the current WD11 models is a real pain; a small unnoticeable error in them can make them practically useless (for instance: no local procedures will be generated or buttons will be generated without the code...) and cause days or error hunting - not very productive, as there are no helping tools for debugging the models.

About the two field captions: If Clarion has them, you won't find them in the templates. Surely they must be part of the data dictionary (analysis) properties rather than in the RAD templates/models.

A few years ago we had a similar kind of discussion in the old Windev forum, and then somebody (can't remember who) told that Clarion has this "two captions" feature.

Ola
Carlo Hermus
March 03, 2009 05:43PM
Ola,

In the analysis you can specify another you can define another caption for reports and queries then for control. You cannot specify another cation for tables.

I have never tried it with WinDev, but it is possible according to the analysis. (in item description, click on the tab (right) reports and queries.)

Maybe this is the way to define different captions for reports and controls.
Ruben Sanchez Peña
March 03, 2009 07:12PM
Hi Ola.

You are right. In dictionary you can define a Prompt caption and a Column caption, but i think both refer to windows control and i don't remember if both are usables on reports..

Maybe the diferent WD caption for "Report and Queries" allow these same efect.

Rubén
Ola Pedersen
March 04, 2009 12:13PM
Thanks Carlo and Rubén

"Maybe the diferent WD caption for "Report and Queries" allow these same efect."

Maybe this is a new feature in WD12, as I cannot find such tab in my item descriptions window of WD11?

I really would like to know, whether this "Report and Queries"-caption applies to tables, too. Has anybody tested this? It would be one more real reason to upgrade...

Ola
Jeff Walters.pcs.crosspost
May 09, 2009 10:32AM
How difficult am I going to make the switch ...

I have downloaded the WD12 Express, and am very impressed compared to Clarion 7.

With the fact that I am predominantly working with Windows <-> Web applications, the WD14 features that allow easy access to web applications is very appealing.

Now for some practical issues:

- I am an extensive user of UltraTree - and use a lot of the more advanced features - recursion / tagging / advanced filters. Am I going to achieve similar capabilities within WinDev?

- I have most of Capesoft's templates. The main ones that I use are:

* NetTalk - I think WinDev has the features I use there more than covered
* Explorer - the one feature I am not sure I can access within WinDev is the ability to intercept a clicked hyperlink being displayed by a browser control. I use this in a production app where I display a HTML page, and then when a link is clicked on, instead of trying to load a new HTML page, I intercept the call, and instead call a procedure within the program.

Doable within WinDev?

* Hyperlink - I use this to make all my entry labels as hyperlinks / display a related help top in a info control to the side whenever you hover over the label. Enables me to create richer explanations than the standard tooltip.

Comparable option within WinDev?

* SecWin - I use this to protect my commercial application. SecWin fires off a query every few weeks to my server to validate against current (non-refunded) customers, and then if a refund has been issued, the application is shut down.

Is this going to be a mission to replicate in WinDev?

Hopefully all answers to the above questions are going to be " A walk in the park with WinDev ... smiling smiley ".

Really excited about the potential of WinDev.

Now just have to work out how to transition 20+ years of Clarion learning & habits + many custom templates I developed over the years + the commercial templates I have purchased.

Jeff

Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
May 09, 2009 01:59PM
Hi Jeff

as I do not know clarion, I'll answer only part of your questions here:

> * Explorer - the one feature I am not sure I can access within WinDev is the ability to intercept a clicked hyperlink being displayed by a browser control. I use this in a production app where I display a HTML page, and then when a link is clicked on, instead of trying to load a new HTML page, I intercept the call, and instead call a procedure within the program.
> Doable within WinDev?

If I understand correctly what you are asking, you'll need to use an
activeX control with IE activeX in it, and intercept the click event
using the activeX event feature... so yes.
>
> * Hyperlink - I use this to make all my entry labels as hyperlinks / display a related help top in a info control to the side whenever you hover over the label. Enables me to create richer explanations than the standard tooltip.
> Comparable option within WinDev?

Again, if I understand correctly, you will use a button (with the look
of a button OR of a link, as you choose) and in it, you will add the
Mouse Rollover event (at the bottom left of the source editor for that
control). In this event, you'll display yor test in your info control
>
> * SecWin - I use this to protect my commercial application. SecWin fires off a query every few weeks to my server to validate against current (non-refunded) customers, and then if a refund has been issued, the application is shut down.
> Is this going to be a mission to replicate in WinDev?

httpRequest to interrogate your web site.
-OR-
Using soap
Very easy

best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]
joe crevino
Re: Re: Clarion vs WinDev
May 09, 2009 03:10PM
I think the first question you should ask "Is why am I thinking of leaving Clarion". I started with Clarion when Bruce Barrington first started the company. I left around 2004.

I felt that the constant need for all of the thirdparty tools was one of the main reasons I left.

I really got annoyed when a few companies that were supplying thirdparty tools that I was using stopped development.

I ended up being dependent on many small companies. This I felt was not a good position to be in.

Clarion is a great product. I have used Windev with a great deal of success.

Which is better ? That is simple. It is the product that you can be most productive with.

After spending alot of time learning Windev I have found there is really no need for 3rd party tools. A major upgrade is available every year with a huge number of features that I can really use. I also appreciate have the english version delayed. I am very happy to have another huge group of uses debug the features before I get them.

I do not want say that one product is better than the other. That will start a big battle on this forum.

I do wish to state "Windev has never let me down".

joe crevino
Steven Sitas
May 11, 2009 09:06AM
Jeff,
Like you I have been working with Clarion for 20+ years and I started programming with WinDEV12 about a year ago. What I learned this year is that WinDEV programming is really different from Clarion programming - a totally different "paradigm".
If you think you can start now with WINDEV and say in 6 months be as "productive" as you are now in Clarion, forget it.

WinDev 12 is really a BEAUTIFULL and very POWERFULL enviroment and probably has everything you will ever need as a toolkit. No 3rd parties needed, no BlackBoxes and it is cheap - specially the bundle.
BUT
It really has NO RAD - at least what you consider as RAD from a Clarion perspective.
Clarions template technology is really SV "biggets asset" and I haven't seen anything like it in the software industry as of today.

Now for your question, specially about Ultratree:
If you where a "good WinDEV programmer" the simple answer would be YES.
You could use a TreeView Control and extensive programming and then you would duplicate UltraTrees functionality in a "case by case basis".
You could pass this code, as a learning base, to another WinDEV programmer and he could use this code as a starting point for his special case.
With Ultratree - Phil who designed the template - doesn't pass any kind of generic code to you, he actually gives you a "code generator/template" that produces clarion code according to your specifications.
If you where using Ultratree and wanted full recursive/multi node/filtering and tagging in YOUR specific MSSQL 2005 app with FULL support for NULL nodes, it would take you less than 5 minutes.
I don't think that even the best WinDev programmer could do this kind programming in less than a week and even then it would be an oustanding achievement.

This is really the MAJOR difference between Clarion and WinDev.

At the end if you are looking for a second programming enviroment, to use along with Clarion, WinDEV is really a fantastic product - just like Clarion is.

Hope this helps

Steven Sitas

May 11, 2009 12:20PM
Hi

Thanks for the responses. They basically confirm my decision to get WinDev. The next issue is when, and whether I go for the bundle which is at such a good price. In the internet marketing space I flip flop between desktop apps that connect to the internet, and of course PHP applications. Currently I obviously have Clarion 6 + NetTalk + File Explorer, as well as CodeCharge. Professionally I operate in the Business Intelligence area, with delivery of critical intelligence to mobiles on the rise. So - its awfully tempting to go for the bundle, as the development environment across all three mediums is then seamless.

Fabrice

>> If I understand correctly what you are asking, you'll need to use an
activeX control with IE activeX in it, and intercept the click event
using the activeX event feature... so yes.

I am hoping the the explorer control within WinDev would give me access to specific events.

>> you will use a button (with the look of a button OR of a link, as you choose) and in it, you will add the Mouse Rollover event (at the bottom left of the source editor for that control). In this event, you'll display yor test in your info control

Actually, there's a neat template available from CapeSoft - for Clarion - that allows you to automatically make all your entry /memo field prompts on a form into hyperlinks. Your WinDev solution would require that I replace all the prompts with buttons, format each one to look like a prompt, and then set the hover property for each one. With Hyperlink, I can set a Case statement in one place to set the behaviour of all the labels.

Not at slick as Hyperlink, but not a show-stopper.

Joe >> Which is better ? That is simple. It is the product that you can be most productive with.

If I read Steven's response, I get worried ... smiling smiley No, I realise that there's going to be massive learning cureve initially. But yes, the key issue that I am facing right now are all the work-arounds / third party documentation I must dive into to cobble together less-than-basic applications.

Typically my apps require the use of UltraTree, SecWin, NetTalk, Hyperlink, FileManager, File Explorer, numerous custom templates I have written over the years, and then diving into EasyCom2Inc to incorporate some COM add-ins.

Keeping on top of the ongoing updates (regular downloads from CapeSoft), plus the hacking around to get COM objects to work without GPFs, and then off course cleaning up the cosmetcs to make generic Clarion windows look acceptable is now just taking too long.

My focus, and medium term goal is to be delivering a suite of products into the internet marketing arens. Already have one successful product there, but it is such a mission to maintain. I need an environment that allows me to build, test, and publish good looking, robust applications without having to sit up till 3am trying to get all the bits working together - especially the web interaction side. The new additions in WinDev 14 - connecting to Google applications - looks extremely interesting at this stage.

>> Kevine : See private email

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Very useful.

Steven : >> It really has NO RAD - at least what you consider as RAD from a Clarion perspective.

I have been sold on Clarion's template technology for 20 years. So much so I wrote a product - TemplateSpy - which I sold for a few years on ClarionShop. I dived deep into the template language, and modified the application generator to create semi-acceptable browse / form windows that didn't look so plain. My understanding is that I am able to customise windows in an application, save these as patterns, and then inherit these patterns for new appliications. This should help out on this front.

I am going to go through a culture shock, as over the years I have build a whole set of custom templates that I drop in to speed up application development.

>> WinDev 12 is really a BEAUTIFULL and very POWERFULL enviroment and probably has everything you will ever need as a toolkit. No 3rd parties needed, no BlackBoxes and it is cheap - specially the bundle.

Agreed. Looks amazing. Just waiting to download WinDev 14 Express to drool some more while I scramble to get some funds together ... smiling smiley

>> I don't think that even the best WinDev programmer could do this kind programming in less than a week and even then it would be an oustanding achievement.

UltraTree is probably the most sophisticated templates I have bought - so this is definitly a tough test.

NetTalk and QueryWizard are two other favourites. NetTalk I will easily replace. QueryWizard I don't see an equivalent - although I know there is built-in queries - just not like QW.

>> At the end if you are looking for a second programming enviroment, to use along with Clarion, WinDEV is really a fantastic product - just like Clarion is.

Actually, I'm looking for primary programming environment. I see Clarion as losing ground - espcially in the web area. I bought the Clarion PHP templates several years ago - and they have just been basically stillborn. By now they should have been offering Ajax capabilities - just like WebDev. I think SV have touched on too many areas without enough follow-through / wrapup to pull in new customers, and now they are going to battle financially to stay up with something like WinDev/WebDev that seems to be powering ahead.

Appreciate the responses. I expect to be harassing this forum in the near future as soon as I've managed to generate some cash. Nice incentive to run a few marketing campaigns on the net ...

Al
Re: Re: Re: Clarion vs WinDev
May 11, 2009 01:27PM
Hello Jeff

>> you will use a button (with the look of a button OR of a link, as you choose) and in it, you will add the Mouse Rollover event (at the bottom left of the source editor for that control). In this event, you'll display yor test in your info control

Actually, there's a neat template available from CapeSoft - for Clarion - that allows you to automatically make all your entry /memo field prompts on a form into hyperlinks. Your WinDev solution would require that I replace all the prompts with buttons, format each one to look like a prompt, and then set the hover property for each one. With Hyperlink, I can set a Case statement in one place to set the behaviour of all the labels.

Not at slick as Hyperlink, but not a show-stopper.

If you have the express copy of Windev have a look at the ..AutomaticLink property for multiline text controls, it may do some of what you are looking for.

AutomaticLink is used to find out the mode for automatic detection of links in multiline edit controls, and to enable (or not) this mode. This property is available for text and RTF edit controls.

When this property is enabled, the links found in the specified edit control are automatically displayed as clickable links. The following links are taken into account:

URLs. For example "[www.windev.com"];.

full paths or UNC paths to a file. For example "C:\temp\MyImages.bmp". The link is displayed only if the file exists.

Regards
Ak
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.