Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to WinDev

Posted by Rod MG 
Rod MG
New to WinDev
January 23, 2009 07:12PM
Hi,

I'm testing WinDev as my new development environment. My current application is full of security options like:

- Personalized main menu based on the administrator preferences. Disabled options does not work for me, I need to hide the options the user do not have access,

- Personalized configuration for access fields on dialogs. I need to give my customers the option to allow o not access to some fields in a dialog for some users.

- I've been reading lot of info about WinDev so I think that the best option is to use the HyperFile C/S database that is integrated with WinDev, so I would like to ask some experienced users of this database about the stability, performance, Hot Backups.

- I've read that it is possible to generate java code using WinDev, ¿Could this code run in Linux and Mac boxes? I've heard about some limits on this but could not find official info about it.

I hope someone could give more light on previous topics. I've been playing around with the express version and I liked but some options are not allowed in this version.

As you know is hard to switch development platform, so I hope not bother you with this novice questions.

Thanks in advance.

Georgio
Re: New to WinDev
January 23, 2009 09:44PM
Hi Rod,

I'll address your questions in order:

- Personalized main menu based on the administrator preferences. Disabled options does not work for me, I need to hide the options the user do not have access

Not sure exactly what you mean by this but if you are looking to hide menu options, there are a bunch of options. 1. Incorporate groupware into your application, or based on settings that your program puts forth, you can tell a control to be hidden.

ex. MyControl..Visible = False

- Personalized configuration for access fields on dialogs. I need to give my customers the option to allow o not access to some fields in a dialog for some users.

Again, probably a good place to incorporate groupware.

- I've been reading lot of info about WinDev so I think that the best option is to use the HyperFile C/S database that is integrated with WinDev, so I would like to ask some experienced users of this database about the stability, performance, Hot Backups.

My company uses both HyperFile Classic and C/S. I've never had perfomance issues, backup problems, and, I've found, very stabile -- meaning, I've never found data corruption issues.

- I've read that it is possible to generate java code using WinDev, ¿Could this code run in Linux and Mac boxes? I've heard about some limits on this but could not find official info about it.

Yes, you can create java archives however, some of the commands used with a normal 32/64 bit windows setup are not avail. There's also a Linux setup program as well. It's not a terrible amount of commands that are not available and when I have had linux installs, i've found other commands/workarounds for most.

Hope this helps ... and good luck.

Georgio

Rod MG
January 23, 2009 11:25PM
Hi, Georgio.

Thanks for this fast response.

By personalized menu I meant customizable. I've read in other place that the main menu can not be customizable.

For example, suppose I have a main menu with this options: File, Edit, Format. Each of this is a drop-down menu and each of this have several options above. Well, some of the application user needs to see the whole menu (File, Edit, Format), but other user have to see just one menu (File) and other user need to see two (Edit, Format), so since I'm talking about the main menu I need WinDev allow me to present the main menu according to the user permissions.

For your response I think it is possible to set the main menu complete, read the user permissions and then hide the menu options the user do not have access to, ¿Am i ok thinking this way?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Rod MG
Art Bonds
January 24, 2009 12:37AM
No problem. Look up "User Groupware". For each user on each window (form, table, etc) you can configure what the user sees. These configurations are Default (user can see and use the menu option), Inactive (looks normal but the user cannot select it), Grayed or Invisible (can't see it, can't select it). If there is an accelerator key associated with the menu item (for example "&Edit" for Alt-E) the user that does not have access to Edit (Invisible) cannot select it that way either.

For your example, you can modify the rights of the user Bill to see and use File (the Default setting for File) but not see Edit or Format (the Invisible setting). Joan can see Edit and Format, but not see File.

If there is for example two sub-menu options under File (which Bill can see), lets call them Copy and Delete. You can set Bills permissions to see and use Copy (Default setting) but make the Delete Invisible to Bill. Joan will never see File (just Edit and Format) so Joan will never see Copy and Delete under File.

Does that help?
Rod MG
January 27, 2009 05:09AM
Hi, Art.

Very clear. This is one of the most important issue to switch my application to WinDev.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Rod MG

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.