Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Column sorting in table

Posted by Glenn Rathke 
Glenn Rathke
Column sorting in table
January 22, 2009 08:09PM
I've got a table based on a query. The query is based on a view in MySQL. When sorting the column bu clicking on the column header the column is sorted all Uppercase first and then all lowercase. How do I make the column sort regardless of case.

Presently it sorts as:

A
B
C
Z
a
b
c

Would like
A
a
B
b
C
c

etc.

Thanks
Glenn rathke
BLS
Re: Column sorting in table
January 22, 2009 08:35PM
Hi Glenn,
completely untested !

TableSort(TBLXXX, Upper("+Subject") )

Bjoern
BLS
January 22, 2009 08:37PM
Bullshit, sorry
BLS
January 22, 2009 09:14PM
I think there is not much you can do on the client side.....

IMO MySQL is case-insensitive by default.
Try to declare the column with the BINARY modifier and let's see what happens

HTH, Bjoern .... tired and running out of ideas sad smiley
Jimbo
January 22, 2009 09:42PM
Glenn Rathke
I've got a table based on a query. The query is based on a view in MySQL. When sorting the column bu clicking on the column header the column is sorted all Uppercase first and then all lowercase. How do I make the column sort regardless of case.

Presently it sorts as:

A
B
C
Z
a
b
c

Would like
A
a
B
b
C
c

etc.

Thanks
Glenn rathke

Hi Glenn,

once upon a time, I had to make a phone-book application and the German sorting order is even more challenging. So I translated the crucial alfa fields into sorting fields using a translation table which represented the sorting algorithm. So, the fields the user actually saw were completely different from the fields that drove the sorting.

Later on, things became more easy though, because one could associate an alfa field in Btrieve with the complete desired sorting order. You should look into the MySQL database, maybe you can define the sorting order in MySQL already. Actually there is a 'collation order' in MySQL available.

Kind regards,
Guenter

Al
January 23, 2009 03:52AM
Hello Glen

In V12 there are additional sort options available for table sorting under the "sortable" tickbox in the table editor. One of the options is "ignore case"

There is also a more general purpose "sort options" function that allows you to apply the new sorting methods to some other controls.

Regards
Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 04:00AM by Al.
Glenn Rathke
January 23, 2009 05:01PM
Hi,

Yep, sure enough the optin is thdere, but not available with direct access to the file.

Thanks
Glenn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.