Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transaction Problem Question

Posted by Paul Ziegler 
Paul Ziegler
Transaction Problem Question
December 15, 2008 10:40PM

I started a transaction on one user, but the transaction was not cancelled due to coding programming mistake. On another user I tried to load a table (by programming) and got the following error message.

HReadFirst function called.
Unable to access record #<1> in <C:\My projects\PA2\Exe\Child.FIC> file. Record accessed by an unsuccessful transaction not canceled yet. Cancel the transaction before accessing record. Transaction will be canceled during the next call to HTransactionStart (or with HTransactionCancel).

My question is when a transaction is open, can another a user access a record that is part of the transaction just to read the record?

I was able to cancel the transaction with the WD Transaction Manager.

On an unrelated subject, when I was looking at the data files I noticed that some files had .MMO files and some did not. Why is this?

Thanks for any responses.

Paul
Stefan Bentvelsen
Re: Transaction Problem Question
December 16, 2008 08:57AM
Hi Paul,

for the part of the .MMO files:

This file is used for memo-data. The file with a .MMO extension is only created if there is a memo item (binary memo or textmemo) in your file.
Paul Ziegler
December 16, 2008 05:03PM
Stefan,

Thanks for the reponse.

Paul
CHC
December 16, 2008 08:58PM
I suggest that you don't use transaction if you using Hyper files (specially contain huge records) . I done a program using Hyperfile with transaction on multiple table/files . once a while I get that error even though the transaction successful commit or rollback .
BLS
December 20, 2008 08:22AM
Hi Paul,
during a transaction the records are atomatic write locked. So, yes a third person is able to read records during a transaction tracking process.

I can't agree with CHC. A TT System has to work under whatever circumstances... In case that this is not guaranteed you better change your db. well, I never had this kind of trouble with HF/CS... and in case that I have a need for bulk updates, I simple lock the file(s). ( anything else is not very smart)

Bjoern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2008 09:26AM by BLS.
Paul Ziegler
December 20, 2008 04:22PM
Bjoern,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to use the Transaction Manager to Cancel the Transaction and then things worked fine. I tested the transaction by putting an Info command just before confirming the transaction. From another user I was able to read records that were part of the transaction. So no problem.

I think what happened in the case where I got the error, was that a user crashed in the middle of the transaction and somehow that was the problem.

Thanks,

Paul
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.