Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WX28 and HTTP usage

Posted by Rubén Sánchez 
WX28 and HTTP usage
January 09, 2023 03:49PM
Hi, I have an application that queries the content of some official sites to show it to users. Up until version 27, the HTTP functions and variables in WM and WD worked correctly. With version 28, apparently because they have upgraded to OpenSSL 3.0, this no longer works when querying many servers because they are not properly updated in their SSL handling. As a result, the query returns a status code of 0 (which does not indicate an error in the query as it does not succeed) and the result is not returned.

Honestly I had considered (as on other occasions for never solved problems like debugging, which by the way still doesn't work in WM28) to stop using WX, as it only brings me problems and wasted time.

I don't understand how a supposedly better update can so negatively influence a code that was working, especially since since .NET and Java I can access all servers without problems, and I don't believe that both are obsolete or misconfigured to be able to continue accessing.

Thinking about the problem, I ended up using .NET with WD and Java (OkHTTP library) with WM in my application. That is, instead of simplifying things with WX28, they force me to use "patches" in other languages to make sure I don't lose the information I'm accessing.

The problem also occurs in WD and WM (I assume also in Wcool smiley.

I'm posting it here so that you can check if in your projects you no longer have access to certain information.

Rubén

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 12:16PM by Rubén Sánchez.
Re: WX28 and HTTP usage
January 10, 2023 07:37AM
Hi Rubén, the translation did not work in this case ...

Hi, I have an application that queries the content of some official sites to display it to users. Up to version 27, the HTTP functions and variables in WM and WD worked correctly. With version 28, apparently because they have upgraded to OpenSSL 3.0, this no longer works when querying many servers because they are not properly updated in their SSL handling. As a result, the query returns a status code of 0 (which does not indicate an error in the query, since it is unsuccessful) and no result is returned.

Honestly I had considered (as in other occasions due to never solved problems such as debugging, which by the way still does not work in WM28) to stop using WX, as it only brings me problems and wasted time.

I do not understand how a supposedly better update can influence so negatively on a code that worked, especially because from .NET and Java I can access all servers without problems, and I do not think that both are obsolete or misconfigured to be able to continue accessing.

Thinking about the problem, I ended up using .NET with WD and Java (OkHTTP library) with WM in my application. That is, instead of simplifying things with WX28, they force me to use "patches" in other languages to make sure I don't lose the information I access.

The problem also occurs in WD and WM (I guess also in Wcool smiley.

I post it here so you can check if in your projects you no longer have access to certain information.

Ruben

Kind regards,
Guenter Predl
office@windev.at
January 10, 2023 12:13PM
confused smiley Sorry Guenter, I did not realize that it was effectively in Spanish. I initially posted it in French on the PCSoft forum and something must have gone wrong when I posted it here. Thanks for the translation.

I think the problem with HTTP is quite serious as there is no way to know if the server will be able to return the requested information. Yesterday I detected that for example if you do a XMLOpen("[..."];, fromUrl) it doesn't return the data either. Any function or code that works with HTTP libraries will fail if the server is not prepared to work with OpenSSL 3.0.

Rubén
March 09, 2023 08:35PM
Hi, it's fixed with the new patch and using the new IgnoreError parameters.

[blogs.pcsoft.fr]

Rubén
March 11, 2023 11:33AM
Is there a new version of WX28 out? I still see 66p as the current download on the PCSoft site?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.