Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Programatically Change Item Name

Posted by Paul Ziegler 
Paul Ziegler
Programatically Change Item Name
November 09, 2008 03:23PM
Is it possible to programatically change a File Item or File Tiem caption name, so that it shows up in the Report and Queries?

I give my users the ability to have user definable File Items. I have the Items already created and they simply give the Item a name. When they create their own reports, I would like the name they have chosen for the File Item to appear.

If this is not possible the way I used to do it in my old tool, is there another way to do it in WD?

Thanks for any answers.

Paul
Milton
Re: Programatically Change Item Name
November 09, 2008 08:05PM
Paul,

You could include a Static item in your report and leave that Static blank. When the user enters their own File Name you trap that entry and assign the value to the Static in the "Pre Print" section of the report and this will then populate the blank Static with the user File Name.

Milton
Paul Ziegler
Re: Programatically Change Item Name
November 10, 2008 04:44PM
Milton,

I want my users to be able to create new reports with Reports & Queries. WD appears to give a choice of selecting File Items for the report by Item Name or the Item Caption name. I have not been able to find a commands in WD that allows me to programmatically change the File Item or Caption name.

Thanks,
Paul
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.