Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Defining External Database

Posted by Denis Vaughan.pcs.crosspost 
Denis Vaughan.pcs.crosspost
Defining External Database
October 31, 2008 03:41PM
Hi,

I have an application built using an analysis of an MS Access database. When I want to install this on a test or client machine, I want the installer to define where the database is to be located and to place it there. I also want the code to reflect that. My forms are created using direct connection to the access database.

How do I get the set-up to include the database and redefine the connections to a location chosen during the installation.

Thank you

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Fabrice Harari.pcs.crosspost
Re: Defining External Database
October 31, 2008 04:55PM
Hello Denis...

What I do in those cases:
- Check at startup the values inside an ini (or xml or registry) for
connections
- if values are not available, open setup window
- in setup window, let the user browse for the files/directory, enter
password login and any other relevant information
- when information is saved, write in the ini file
- exit window and back to data init code

In the case where several DB can be accessed, then a second window lists
all available ones and gives access to the creation/edit window

Best regards

--
Fabrice Harari
International WinDev, WebDev and WinDev mobile Consulting

More information on [www.fabriceharari.com]

Denis Vaughan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application built using an analysis of an MS Access database. When I want to install this on a test or client machine, I want the installer to define where the database is to be located and to place it there. I also want the code to reflect that. My forms are created using direct connection to the access database.
>
> How do I get the set-up to include the database and redefine the connections to a location chosen during the installation.
>
> Thank you
>
Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Al
October 31, 2008 11:53PM
Hello Denis

A few times on the forum, Rich has sung the praises of the Lindersoft Installer and I took his advice recently and bought a copy. I can only support his recommendations, it is very good and the support is also excellent. It is simple to use, very powerfull and better than the inbuilt Windev installer.

You can download a trial copy from www.lindersoft.com

Regards
Al
KenKnight
November 01, 2008 01:12AM
Hi All,

Yea I gotta say, for us, Lindersoft support is pretty much at the top of a very short list for "Companies that provide incredible support".

We've been able to accomplish everything we've needed with their product... which was actually quite difficult in the previous big name product.

Cheers!
Ken
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.