Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WX11 - How random is random?

Posted by Swissstephan 
Swissstephan
WX11 - How random is random?
March 24, 2008 12:06AM
Hi to all
Probabely silly question, but how random is random?
The task is getting 10 random number between 1-64000.
Getting these 10 Numbers is there any chance to KNOW the 11th?
random is initialised after every drawn number. InitRandom().
Thanks for the answer.
Stephan
GuenterP
Re: WX11 - How random is random?
March 24, 2008 05:27PM
Stephan Wiestner
Hi to all
Probabely silly question, but how random is random?
The task is getting 10 random number between 1-64000.
Getting these 10 Numbers is there any chance to KNOW the 11th?
random is initialised after every drawn number. InitRandom().
Thanks for the answer.
Stephan

QUESTION: <u>Did you initially post here or on PC Soft news group</u>?

Hi Stephan,

do you really need a mathematically random number? If so, please study this issue, you can find a lot of information / discussion on the web regarding generation of truly random numbers.

Most programming languages (WinDev too?) provide random numbers with a known start and a uniform series of random numbers. So, for testing purposes you would always receive the same series of numbers. That's quite good for most programming jobs, but not mathematically random.

Re-initializing - as you propably suspected - will return a somewhat random number, but not 'mathematically random'. This has been discussed for quite a time now, especially in reagrds to the BASIC RND() statement. So, in order to get mathematically random numbers, you should either write / copy one of the trusted random number generators from the web or get random numbers via one of the available web services.

Kind regards,
Guenter

Jimbo
Ok, PC Soft synch seems to work already!
March 24, 2008 10:21PM

Stephan's original posting happened to be on the parsimony-forum. Then it's been synchronized to PC Soft's news group and as it seems, from there it had been automatically reposted here. If that's so - great!
Swissstephan
Re: WX11 - How random is random?
March 26, 2008 03:16PM
@ Guenter and Jimbo
Sorry, but first I posted my questions on the new forum. Since I was in kind of a hurry (like always) and there were not much postings here, I posted it on the old fourm too.
Sorry, if I did something wrong.
Stephan
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.