Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD12] Automatic help

Posted by Al 
Al
[WD12] Automatic help
October 22, 2008 02:53AM
Hello All

I have completed a small V12 project and decided, for the first time, to see what WIndev could produce with its "automatic help system".

All it produced was a set of empty pages with headings. It that it ?

From the PCSoft hype I expected it to create a page per window with a heading from the window name, a picture of the window and perhaps a control list with graphics, certainly not a blank index with a series of question marks followed by a series of blank pages displaying "Enter the page text"

A further dissapointment ensued when it won't run as a chm file because of problems with IE, which according to what I read on google requires registry patching on my client's computers, so I have to run as a hlp file.

Is that all there is to the help or am I missing something, because as it stands, it is fairly useless.

Regards
Al
Malc
Re: [WD12] Automatic help
October 22, 2008 06:14PM
Hi Al

I have had some issues with the help generator, particularly with multi language projects.

However, I have managed to get a help file generated which includes default heading of all the windows and reports, along with screen shots.

When in the help editor, go to the Display menu and the Language displayed option, and see if you have more than one language. I only got the screen shots for the language set when I generated the help file.

Try creating a new help file, but do not initially generate anything.
Open up the empty help file
Select English (or your language of choice) from Display..Language displayed
Select Help System..Generating the help pages..Generate the help pages of the project
Select the forms and reports you want pages generated for and hopefully, viola!

Cheers

Malc

Al
Re: [WD12] Automatic help
October 22, 2008 11:59PM
Hello Malc

Thanks for the help.

The secret of course was the language. It only works if you specifiy English.

If PCSoft will insist on appealing to my nationalistic tendencies by displaying a range of English speaking countries in the language setup and then only program these preset functions to run for "English", why can't they also allow us to nominate our individual countries as English speaking so these functions will work for all the "English" langauge countries. They will have to do something about this for the USA market as I imagine they will all select "America" as their langauge and then complain when none of the "English" functions work for them.

I now have more to complain about though ( you just can't please some people smiling smiley )
The pictures it creates are so small and such low quality that I will have to replace them all with screen captures and some of the preset info on tables and print preview is still in French. I tried creating pages in Word as rtf but when I import them it leaves out the graphics.

I have written a detailed suggestion to PCSoft outlining these issues

Regards
Al

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.