Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WinDev 14 - Will We Get A Faster English Release This Time?

Posted by Jonathan Buckland.pcs.crosspost 
Jonathan Buckland.pcs.crosspost
WinDev 14 - Will We Get A Faster English Release This Time?
October 15, 2008 11:34AM
I'm hoping this time around PC Soft will not take 6 months to release the English version.

What do you think?

Jonathan

Message forwarded from pcsoft.us.windev
Piet van Zanten
Will we have to pay double upgrade fee for this upgrade?
October 15, 2008 02:05PM
12 -> 14 grinning smiley
I have abandoned hope in PCSoft
I hate to rain on the parade but I would like to see them fix the bugs in 12 first...

Dennis
Jimbo
Re: WinDev 14 - Will We Get A Faster English Release This Time?
October 16, 2008 03:25AM
Hi Dennis,

which bugs ????

Please, list them in the Bug Forum [forum.mysnip.de]

Thank you!

Regards,
Guenter
Michael Drechsel
October 16, 2008 08:13AM
Hi Guenter,

I send a small project to pcsoft with the dndmove-Icon Bug, but nothing happens. No "Sorry", No "thank you".

So I believe it makes no sense to collect bugs that will never be fixed.

And if PCSoft goes the same way as Corel (Every year a new version with new bugs) then good night ...

greetings md

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 08:39AM by Michael Drechsel.
I think it's a Catch 22 situation. English speaking developers will not embrace WinDev until PC Soft treats them seriously, and PC Soft will not treat English speaking developers seriously until they embrace WinDev.

Release after release nothing is improving. New features get introduced, old bugs still remain, and the wallet is getting ever increasingly lighter.

-Peter
Jimbo
October 16, 2008 10:59AM
Hi Dennis, Peter & Michael,

though this may be a risky walk, the Bugs Forum [forum.mysnip.de] is a means to keep known bugs in public memory.

I'm not going to wage war on PC Soft Tech Support or on the crew of developers, they're doing the best they can. I rather want to help in getting things done. Some pressure is necessary in order to move focus a bit, definitely. Dealing out a reference number and forgetting that there is a guy out there eagerly waiting for a solution is simply not good enough. However, most of us make their living with WX products and so does the staff of PC Soft - thus we share a common interest.

Numbers of non-French speaking developers are increasing steadily. Each year my PC Soft related turnover goes up by more than 100% and that's something. So, I can assure you that this is a growing business. PC Soft does a lot of things right, otherwise we and they couldn't enjoy this growth. However, I suspect that there are simply not enough knowledgeable programmers available to hire in order to get all of the jobs done at the same time. In short: developing new versions / products, fixing bugs, supporting the community.

On the other hand we should be able to communicate to PC Soft that we do not need a whopping 500 new features in each and every new release but would happily trade in some of the new features against a good fix of some of the old bugs.

So, for the time being, I'd opt for showing the bugs in the Bug Forum [forum.mysnip.de] . The purpose is twofold. We show the necessary fixes in public - no hiding possible, this is an independant forum. And we can keep other developers from trying hard and wasting their precious time. If a bug has been fixed, I'll happily delete the entry in the Bug Forum in order to keep a clean list of real issues.

Kind regards,
Guenter

Michael Drechsel
October 16, 2008 11:23AM
Shame on me !

I found the reply from pcsoft support in my trash folder:

"Actually it looks like a bug. This problem has been submitted to our developers."

Ok, then we hope it will be fixed with the next patch day :-)

Greetings MD

Alexandre Leclerc
October 16, 2008 03:41PM
Hi all,

I'm a new user of WinDev since version 11. Like Peter and Denis, I had and still have the same impression: please, fix the old bugs that are always there. (For me this improve stability and thus "our" product quality.)

It is not only English speakers, its all the users of WD that feel the same. Hey, I sent a bug report and the reference number is 6556! This is a very old bug. But it made me waste quite some time. (Menu option ..Color not working in XP style.) What Jimbo is bringing is also right. (In fact I have a personal list of nearly 20 reported bugs that I'm still waiting for a fix. I don't know if I should post them in the bug-forum.) If PCSoft had a public list, one wold save a lot of time and be able to "vote" for a fix. Any-way.

But on the other side, I made suggestions that, combined with other programmers, came to live. And for this I'm absolutely glad of these new features that will save me a lot of time and headaches. And in v14 just the PostgreSQL native access is a very good news for us! And does any-body remember some whining about the yellow colors of the IDE? Well, in v14 this is all grey-black. They are listening and doing their best, I'm sure about that.

I've see that sometimes they get more that 1000 email requests per day! They are quite efficient with such quantities! They do not have only 2 clients. Compare the request number you receive from one date to another date: you will be surprised. I've seen many hundreds in only few hours sometimes. Example: 2008-10-09 10:47 ST/B375004, then 2008-10-10 15:35 ST/B375781 - This is 777 requests to answer in less than 30 hours.

My two cents.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.