Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

m_PreviousButton is Champ < What is Champ ?

Posted by Don Schwirtlich 
Don Schwirtlich
m_PreviousButton is Champ < What is Champ ?
July 31, 2017 09:30PM
In this code, copied from the wd wizard app, what is being accomplished with the "is Champ " phrase.

All below copied from Wd Wizard

cWizard is Class
m_nActivePlane is int // Number of the current plane (between 1 and 20)
m_tabPlane is array static of 50 int // Array containing the sequence of "previous" planes
m_nIndPreviousPlane is int // Subscript of the previous plane in the array

// Manage the procedures and controls that can be called in the associated window
m_AssociatedWindow is Champ
m_PreviousButton is Champ
m_NextButton is Champ
m_InitializationProcedure is Procedure
m_FinalizationProcedure is Procedure
m_CheckProcedure is Procedure
m_ActionProcedure is Procedure
m_NextProcedure is Procedure

END
PROCEDURE Constructor(WizardWindow is Champ, NamePreviousButton is Champ, NameNextButton is Champ,...
InitProcedure is Procedure, EndProcedure is Procedure, ...
CheckPlane is Procedure, PlaneAction is Procedure, DefineNext is Procedure)

:m_nIndPreviousPlane=0 // no previous plane in the sequence table
Peter Holemans
Re: m_PreviousButton is Champ < What is Champ ?
July 31, 2017 09:42PM
Hi,

Champ is French for Field (rather a window control in this case) ...
The WX English is often rather Frenglish. You better get used to it or move over to something else ;-)

Cheers,

Peter H.
Fabrice Harari
July 31, 2017 09:58PM
Hi

-OR- you could use the "code/translate into English" function when there is some french code laying around... It will translate all keywords for you, so if you use some code coming from a french forum, by example, you'll have to google translate only the comments.

Best regards
Don Schwirtlich
July 31, 2017 10:17PM
Absolutely cool. Learn something new in addition to this tool. Champ = Field , I have the strangest thought that they wouldnt pronounce Champ like I would. Any bets ?

Thanks Fabrice and Peter

Don
Don Schwirtlich
August 01, 2017 12:54AM
Peter Holemans
Hi,

Champ is French for Field (rather a window control in this case) ...
The WX English is often rather Frenglish. You better get used to it or move over to something else ;-)

Cheers,

Peter H.

Cheers to you too - I believe I will ask questions and learn this fine tool.

DonnieS
Art Bonds
August 01, 2017 03:33AM
Somewhere I vaguely remember your name... Clarion?
Don Schwirtlich
August 01, 2017 04:10AM
Yep, only since 1986 or so. My day job is programming in Clarion, ex-clarionites have been talking about wd for many years and I finally took the step. And you ?

DonnieS
DerekM
August 01, 2017 04:44AM
Hi Don

Bet you can pronounce Champs-Elysées smiling smiley
Don Schwirtlich
August 01, 2017 05:03AM
Wow, googled it - and no I didnt know.
Gary Williams
August 01, 2017 11:09AM
One rule to help with pronunciation is to think CaReFuL ;

"If a French word ends in C, R, F or L (the consonants in CaReFuL), the final letter is pronounced.

If the word ends with another letter, the final letter is silent"

There are exceptions as with most languages, but it works for most words.
Fabrice Harari
August 01, 2017 02:58PM
Hi Gary,

actually, be very careful (no pun intended) with that rule, as a TON of verbs end with R and the R is NOT pronounced in most of these. In fact, verb or not, if a word ends with ER, the R is NOT pronounced, as a rule.

Best regards
Art Bonds
August 01, 2017 09:55PM
Don Schwirtlich
Yep, only since 1986 or so. My day job is programming in Clarion, ex-clarionites have been talking about wd for many years and I finally took the step. And you ?
Took up Clarion back when it was DOS 2.0. Found WinDev in 2001 when it was ver 5.5. Like Pete Halsted said at one of the WxDevCons, I was into WinDev before it was cool to be into WinDev. :xcool:
WinDev is what Clarion should have become with the right leadership.
Don Schwirtlich
August 01, 2017 10:51PM
Art, I purchased the three sets April of this year , and everything I come across in here, says the same thing to me, "WinDev is what Clarion should have become with the right leadership". You are 16 years to the good - but I'm a young guy, I will catch up. (i turn 65 in a couple weeks). Good to touch base with you, Art.

DonnieS
Garry Allen
August 01, 2017 11:30PM
Well, you have 10 years on me (I'm 75 and just barely hoping to catch up!).
I started with dbase on CP/M in 1980 and went from there to Clipper and later to xBase++ , which I loved; but after 10 yrs or so I decided that I needed a more Windows friendly programming environment and spent an expensive and painful couple of years with Alpha Software. I jumped to WinDev about 2 yrs ago and am quite enjoying it although I sometimes have difficulty with the French mindset.
André Labuschagné
August 01, 2017 11:35PM
Don

You will have to learn Frenglish and start wracking your brains to think of what these French would have used for a similar English word for a specific function. That is the biggest thing I have had to learn. "Now what would they have called this?"

I think I have a bit of a license to criticize these frogs somewhat as France is my ancestral land so in more ways than one I am a frog.

Cheers
André
Don Schwirtlich
August 01, 2017 11:58PM
The Frenglish is challenging - but I keep coming across things that make me smile. I am sure I will find aggravation as well. The interesting thing for me is keeping my Clarion hat on 8-6 during the week, and then putting on a windev hat (or chinsy t-shirt) in the evenings and weekends.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

DonnieS
Alexandre Leclerc
August 02, 2017 07:05PM
Hi André,

I’m curious… I was sure you were French speaking because of your name. Why do you have a French name? (Aside the fact that your parents chose it.;-))

Best regards,
Alexandre Leclerc
André Labuschagné
August 03, 2017 03:22PM
Hi Alexandre

From one of the original French Hugenots families that fled the religious wars - went to the UK and some came to Franschoek just outside Stellenbosch in South Africa. We appear on the French Hugenot monument walls as one of the original families that came over. So yes - very much French but completely South Africanized through history. My sisters are Lucille and René. You get the idea. My father is of French extraction and my mother a Pom via German ancestry - a Rabie. So that makes me a mongrel. We have kept our French roots to a certain extent but are pretty much Anglisized. Some branches of our family on my father's side adopted Dutch as their language to the extent that they had High Dutch Bibles that were handed down through the family. Many Presbyterian ministers that were recruited into Southern Africa mostly from Scotland ended up only being able to speak Dutch. So you would meet an Evans or an Andrews who could not speak a word of English. It is really a complete mess and in one way or the other were are all mongrels of sorts.

Our family stuck to French names largely through, funnily enough, the British influence by way of marriage. So we all have French names and the surname was retained.

My academic language became English as that was the logical thing to do in the colonies, excepting Quebec I guess.

So if I am kicked out of the colonies and have to go back to the homeland it would be France.

Cheers
André
Alexandre Leclerc
August 03, 2017 05:30PM
Hi André,

This is very interesting history you give there.

As for Québec (it was called “Nouvelle France” before the fall of New France to England), there was quite a number of Hugenots that came. But France prohibited them to immigrate for fear that they would take sides with English or Dutch Protestant settlers.

So yes, Québec is mostly French speaking and there are many laws to protect the language. So French families must go to French school. English is also taught as second language. (But depending where you live and the personal efforts you put in, this is not as good as it could be.)

If ever you want to enrich your French heritage, give a try to duolingo.com ;-). (Unless you already know more than what they can offer!)

Thank you for sharing this (and kindly answering to my curiosity).

Have a great day!
Alexandre Leclerc
André Labuschagné
August 04, 2017 01:43AM
Hi Alexandre

We as a family have followed the ups and downs of Quebec particularly as it relates to cessation from the rest of Canada. It is wonderful to see a French enclave like that in North America. May it go from strength to strength.

Thanks for the French heritage site - will have a gander.

Thanks for the chat. Always great to connect with folk who are in some way connected.

BTW - Leclerc morphed into De Klerk in this part of the world. All very interesting.

Cheers
André
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.