Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wishlist for next version

Posted by Malc 
Malc
Wishlist for next version
October 01, 2008 03:50PM
Hi Guys

Since we've just received an update of WD12, I was wondering about what is coming in the next version, and what is currently under review by PC Soft.

Does anyone know of an official (probably French) location where peoples suggestions can be viewed?

Perhaps we should set up a separate forum here for suggested additions* so we can all 'vote' on them and pass the info to PC Soft.

While you can send them requests via the ?..Send Feedback** menu option, it would be good to reinforce other peoples good ideas.

Comments?

Malc

* Perhaps also a known bugs/workarounds forum as well?

** (or at least you could if they fixed it - I've created a shortcut to C:\WinDev 12\Programs\TechSupportRequest.exe in my CustomMenu)
Sohan
Re: Wishlist for next version
October 01, 2008 05:09PM
Hi Malc,

I think this is a great idea, although I wouldn't know how to implement it. Maybe PC SOFT has ideas on how to do this ...? I imagine that they would also appreciate suggestions coming from the community as a whole (or at least a big part of it).

/sohan
Jimbo
October 01, 2008 06:53PM
Hi Sohan,

if you have a suggestion, PC Soft Tech Support provides two items in the Help (?) part of the WinDev main menu: 'Send Feedback' and 'Request to PC Soft hotline'. It's PC Soft's decision to pick up and incorporate a suggestion into their products or not. PC Soft will not allow you to take place in their driver's seat.

This is good policy though you may not agree. But think about your own products. If you sell the same product to several customers you wouldn't like to allow a single customer to direct the future of your product. 'Customer driven' development - except for a few customers with excellent IT-background - will be a horror drive with final crash in 90% of all cases. Just my experience.

Kind regards,
Guenter
Sohan
October 01, 2008 07:25PM
Hi Guenter,

I don't understand your response.

I never suggested to "take place in their driver's seat". Malc came up with the idea of making some kind of wish list, to make an inventory of what we (as the english speaking Windev community) would like to have in the next Windev version, and which bugs are making our lives difficult. I could imagine that PC SOFT would also be interested in such a list.

Whatever gave you the idea that I do not agree with PC SOFT's policy?? I'm confused.

/sohan
Thomas
October 01, 2008 07:27PM
My Wishlist:

- OCR!!
- Full Text Search
- Search in a Palm Database
- DbaseToTable, ParadoxToTable, AccessToTable, etc. easy functions (similar with TableToExcel)
- User Groupware connect to Hyperfile Server Usermanager ("single sign on")

All with WD15? grinning smiley

Thomas
BLS
October 01, 2008 08:01PM
Jimbo
Hi Sohan,

if you have a suggestion, PC Soft Tech Support provides two items in the Help (?) part of the WinDev main menu: 'Send Feedback' and 'Request to PC Soft hotline'. It's PC Soft's decision to pick up and incorporate a suggestion into their products or not. PC Soft will not allow you to take place in their driver's seat.

Kind regards,
Guenter

Hi Guenter,
IMO a M A F is nevertheless still a good idea. Think about a community driven Most Asked Features page....
not only that you can make suggestions.. you can also vote for a dedicated feature.
Makes a difference n'est pas ?
This is not given in the scenario you've suggested.

However, this MAF has to be bi-lingual. (WX US users are still a minority)
Bjoern

To Sohan, such a M A F can be written in WEBDEV within a few days, though it seems that PCS is not willing to use WB as primary tool for their home page .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 09:01PM by BLS.
Glenn Rathke
October 02, 2008 03:23PM
Hi Bjoerm,

Good luck in trying to get support for this.

We know as a matter of fact that PCSoft responds to requests for new features if there has been a large request for it. I suggested this a year ago or so and was amazed at the lack of support in the old NG.

Glenn
Jimbo
Ok, Ok .. let's start something
October 02, 2008 03:42PM
Hi Glenn,

I offer to start two new forums, dedicated to the request of new features and to reports of bugging bugs in WX products.

- Discussion of feature requests or bugs is possible but should be limited to exactly that feature request or bug.

- Posts regarding general help or not related to bugs / requests will be moved to the New WinDev Forum where they belong to.

- Bug reports should be accompanied by a small demo application (link) in order to enable a quick verification. After a while, we expect PC Soft software technicians to inspect that forum and comment (f.i. 'not a bug, it's a feature' *lol*) those reports or use the enclosed information in order to fix them.

Satisfied??
Guenter
Malc
Re: Ok, Ok .. let's start something
October 02, 2008 04:16PM
Hi Guenter

Sounds great to me.

Cheers

Malc

BLS
October 02, 2008 04:21PM
:cheers:

Good Thing. Just .. do you see a chance to implement a vote counter ?

Bjoern

Jimbo
October 02, 2008 05:33PM
Hi Bjoern,

WinDAsso's list of 'WinDev malfunctions' seems to be pretty dead since 2006. Something like a list of requested features can be seen in the idea-box of WinDAsso's site - with voting counter. Look there. Developers will answer the question 'Would you like to have this or that feature in WX ?' always with 'Of course!'. So, this doesn't tell us or PC Soft a lot. Questions would have to be like: 'Could you actually use the requested feature in one of your past, current or future projects?' or 'Did you experience a situation in the past where such a feature would have helped you?' , something like that. I wouldn't want to generate a voting situation like in 'Do you want to pay no taxes?' ... so, please, let us think about voting later. Anyone having an opinion about a requested feature could add her/his positive or negative comments anyway.

Kind regards,
Guenter

P.S. I'll let you know when the two additional forums are ready!

Glenn Rathke
October 02, 2008 09:36PM
I'm satisfied.... I'd use it if it becoms available.

Glenn
Carlo Hermus
October 03, 2008 02:09AM
Hi,

I like to have for every control and window the ability to code in All Events.
Malc
October 03, 2008 10:58AM
Hi Guenter

I quite agree that the requests shouldn't be too generic, and should point to specific weaknesses or omissions, with a description of why you would want to use them.

Of course all of us would like it to be "cheaper!, smarter!, faster!", but that doesn't really give PC Soft a starting place :-)

Cheers

Malc
Malc
October 03, 2008 11:01AM
Hi Carlo

Carlo Hermus
Hi,

Cheers,

Carlo

As I understand it, you can use the API via Event() to trap for events limited by window or control.

Do you mean show all window events in the IDE for each control?

Cheers

Malc
BLS
October 03, 2008 12:20PM
Carlo Hermus
Hi,

Cheers,

Carlo

Your Windev-Fu is weak, young Carlo. smiling smiley

See Event() Online Help.

In case that you want to trap all events for a certain control/window you have to subclass the wndProc

Window globals :
EXTERN "WinConst.wl" 

wpOrigEditProc is int
CONSTANT
	GWL_WNDPROC  = -4
	DLGC_WANTALLKEYS = 4
END

Window Init Section :
wpOrigEditProc=API("USER32","SetWindowLongA", Handle(EDIT1), GWL_WNDPROC, &EditSubclassProc)

And your Event-Handling procedure :
FUNCTION EditSubclassProc(hwnd is int, msg is unsigned int, wParam is int, lParam is int)
	SWITCH msg
// just a sample
	CASE WM_GETDLGCODE 
		RESULT DLGC_WANTALLKEYS 
	// It's up to you !	
	OTHER CASE
		//Trace(MSG)

END
// call original Window proc.
RESULT API("USER32","CallWindowProcA",wpOrigEditProc,hwnd,msg,wParam,lParam)

HTH Bjoern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 01:05PM by BLS.
Al
October 03, 2008 12:41PM
Hello All

Opening up discussion on things we would like to see, is opening a big tin of worms. I have a host of things that I would like to see and to name but a few of the minor ones:

I should like access to the defaults that PCSoft use in the control editors.

I use a lot of currency controls but I do not want them to default to " Currency defined by the project (+currency) " I just want them to be "Currency defined by the project " without the currency symbol option, so I don't have to change each one every time.

The default for controls is "With selection in display". I never use this and have to remember to turn it off for every control.

Small things, but annoying and they could be solved so easily by opening up the control editors and allowing us to change the defaults.

I would also like to see a screen based ZOrder display option similar to the F5 display of tab order. The visual display of the ZOrder would make it much easier to appreciate the sequence of the control initialisation

I think the developer interface is first rate and I love using it but I would like to see more emphasis on the developer environment to fix the small issues that probably only annoy me smiling smiley.

I have been asking PCSoft for years to re-instate the field/file usage list in the analysis that they removed in V8, in the end I wrote my own.

When you store controls off the user screen and off the report display area, why are they grayed out ? It serves no purpose and makes them hard to see. , I am writing the code, I know they are not part of the screen the user sees so why gray them out.

I would like the drag and drop movement of windows within folders in the project pane to actually work.

That's enough for the moment, but I could go on, as I imagine we all could.

The interesting question is how all the ideas for improvements that we might propose, can be collated and voted on ? WIll we be able to agree on topics and items to vote on, who is going to manage the process etc.

It may be easier to try and source software that would run outside the forum and enable registered forum users to create topics as required and we could vote on those that we agreed with. It would therefore by self managed by those interested enough to particpate.

Since posting, I see that Guenter is a couple of steps ahaed of me and has created two new forums so I shall repost some of this item in one of them.

Regards
Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 12:46PM by Al.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.