Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WB19] Browser recognition

Posted by Piet van Zanten 
Piet van Zanten
[WB19] Browser recognition
November 07, 2014 07:28PM
Hi,

This issue has a rather long introduction, but as always: one thing leads to another so here's the full story.

I thought I would give the WB19 upload control another try and see if it still depended on Flash.
Well, the good news is that it's now completely HTML5 based, so Apple users now can use it too.
I started with a multi upload control, even the drag&drop worked fine.
Of course there had to be a catch.
For a single upload control d&d did not work, the uploaded file was displayed in the browser.
I thought I found a solution by replacing the static used for d&d by an edit control in editable state and yes, it worked.
However when I started testing other browsers (Chrome is my default) Firefox and Safari still were displaying the uploaded file in the browser.

Well, no problem, then I just had to change the caption that showed "Drag and drop a file here or press Upload" for these two browsers.
Now I'm really in a mess, because most browsers tell me that they are several browsers.
BrowserName() returns:
IE
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; BOIE9;NLNL; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Firefox
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
Opera
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.111 Safari/537.36 OPR/25.0.1614.68
Safari
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2
Chrome
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.111 Safari/537.36
This is an example of the browsers installed on my dev machine, but imagine what kind of algorithm one needs when considering older versions too. I'm afraid this is an impossible task.
Opera and Chrome both tell me they are Chrome
Safari, Opera and Chrome all list Safari
and so on...
I guess I have to inform users that this and that feature does not work in browser so and so.

BTW: in my experience Opera and Chrome have very few issues regarding WB sites. Safari on third place, followed by IE which is slowly getting better. (although it always looks a bit funny compared to the others)
Firefox is going down fast.

Regards,
Piet
Michael Drechsel
Re: [WB19] Browser recognition
November 27, 2014 06:11AM
Hi Piet,

>Well, the good news is that it's now completely HTML5 based, so Apple users now can use it too.

Are you sure ? According to the Help its still based on Flash:

Various

To use the Upload control, Flash (version 9 or later) must be installed on the computer of the Web user.
Piet van Zanten
November 27, 2014 08:01AM
Hi Michael,

My mistake, I removed the swf upload library to test, but somehow it was still accessible when I tested.
And when I saw that in the Online Help the flash reference was missing I jumped to my conclusion too soon.
So no, not html5 based and I'm back to the simple html edit control again.

Regards,
Piet
Michael Drechsel
November 27, 2014 08:16AM
Hi Piet,

it´s too sad, so the upload control is still not really usable.
Piet van Zanten
November 27, 2014 09:09AM
Hi Michael,

Indeed, I'm looking into jQuery for a solution.
BTW, I forget to mention that we also tested on a Macbook and the upload control worked.
It seems that Flash is becoming available for Safari too.

Regards,
Piet
Michael Drechsel
November 27, 2014 12:03PM
Ok, plz keep me informed. I need a stable upload control (with a minimum error correction) for large files up to 2 GB.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.