Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD18] Convert existing memo fields to Unicode or not

Posted by Al 
Al
[WD18] Convert existing memo fields to Unicode or not
July 27, 2013 03:24AM
Hello Everyone

I am seeking advice regarding UNICODE implementation in text memo fields.
I understand the reason behind the creation of the unicode standard and on the surface it would seem that for a new project I am doing which involves storing text pasted in from other documents into the text memo fields, it could be advantageous, my question is:

Should I go back through my existing projects and convert the memo fields used for text storage to Unicode ? I have no current or perceived future need to store any language other than English in my older projects, but as nothing is absolute, that could change a few years down the track.

If I convert existing text memo fields to Unicode, what are the effects ?
Is the data already stored in the field going to change or be corrupted ?
Does it affect the size of the file substantially on the disk ?
In terms of old code, it looks like (from the Windev help) that there will be no problems accessing the Unicode text using the Windev RTF functions - is that in fact the case ?

Regards
Al
what db are you using?
Hello ccc2

Sorry I did not mention it, I didn't realise it would have an effect on the outcome.

I use HF Classic or HFCS and on some projects the data is exported to MS SQL Server and imported from MS SQL Server - the full versions not the free one.

Regards
Al
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.