bosher
My Tip of the year - Webdev App Server
December 24, 2010 01:20PM
Hi all,

I thought I would share the info that
a) caused me most problems
b) made me swear a lot
c) The solution.

If any of you have bought Webdev App Server for Windows, you know how awkward it is to get running properly.

Windows Server tips.
1. Never use a server connected to an active directory domain. The reason is that webdev app server will never authenticate IIS users properly. So use either W2k3 Web edition or w2k3 standard.

2. There is a pdf file that comes with the app server that has a permissions matrix.
Follow this EXACTLY. Do everything in order. Make sure that you understand it thoroughly before starting (particularly the 'aliases' that it uses in the matrix - which are declared somewhat cryptically at the start of the section)

3. Folks have asked about IIS vs Apache. On the deployment server I always use IIS because of the built in IIS user manager. I use apache on my development machines.

This is not rocket science, but it does require an hour or so of dedicated concentration to get it right.

If you do the above and configure your firewall correctly, you will be able to use ALL of the deployment methods built in. So much more convenient than FTP'ing crap around and manually installing.

Remember each time you upgrade the app server software, you will need to go through most of this crap again.

Take the time, it's worth it!

Merry Christmas

Bosher
issah
Re: My Tip of the year - Webdev App Server
December 24, 2010 02:56PM
I want to launch my site on a vps. Its not so complex a site that I will need some of these extended features. The vps comes with IIS pre-installed. I am not an internet guru and am considering either apache (thats what I am running on my development computer) or the abyss server as recommended by Ken Knight.

Any hints would be great before I take the leap.

issah
bosher
Re: My Tip of the year - Webdev App Server
December 24, 2010 09:08PM
Yo Issah,

I wouldn't bother with Apache or Abyss. I am sure the vps is a 'non-domain' operating system (They almost always are...) so I would try with IIS. Providing you follow the security matrix as previously described it WILL work and you will be able to use the standard deployment methods as intended by the Webdev developers.

The advantages of the IIS-linked user manager provided as part of the app server are also very handy..

You could even start hosting other peoples webdev websites on it too and charge them!

I am still considering officially hosting Webdev sites in our own datacentre. (We should be upgrading to a 1Gbps link in February! - cool or what!)

Cheers me dears

Bosher
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.