Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WD12] Location of window templates

Posted by DarrenF 
DarrenF
[WD12] Location of window templates
December 22, 2009 03:02PM
Hi all,

How does WD determine where to look for templates... more specifically, Window templates?

The reason I ask is that I was experiencing problems under Vista and I've just upgraded to Windows 7. Under Vista, when I right-clicked on the tree-view on the right of the dev API screen and then clicked New Window, the New Window dialog would appear, but sometimes (usually after a 10 or 15 minutes of use), WD would hang when trying to display the previews of my templates.

I'm assuming it could be something to do with the fact that the templates are located in 2 folders on my C: drive - I only have a hand full of templates, but over time I must have created them in 2 different folders. There are a couple in my specific project folder - eg; C:\Projects\XYZProject\Templates and some in the root folder C:\Projects.

WD seems to pick them up, but as described above, it sometimes hangs trying to display them.

As I've just upgraded to Windows 7 and before I start... I just want to be sure that the templates are in the same/correct location.

Can I simply move them to a new location?

Any help would be appreciated...
DarrenF
Re: [WD12] Location of window templates
December 23, 2009 10:57AM
Anyone?
DarrenF
Re: [WD12] Location of window templates
December 24, 2009 01:16PM
Hi,

Looks like I may have 2 problems - templates and the hanging issue (caused by I don't know what)...

Anyhow - in the end and a bit of searching I managed to sort the template iissue. If you right click on the Templates folder on the tree view (on the right of dev API) there's an option to look at project items and also an option to add project items. Either one of these will do the trick.

I noticed I had red X's next to some of my templates, but once I'd (re) added them using an option above - I think that's sorted now...

...now onto my hanging problem. I did find that it's not an indefinate hang... it seems to hang for 10+ minutes then frees itself up - as though it's trying to search for the templates on my hard drive :confused:

Don't know if anyone else has the hang on the selecting a template window, but I did find a useful utility while searching for a solution - the "Resource Manager" in Windows 7 (might be available in Vista as well?).

If you type "Resource Manager" into (what used to be the Run field of the start menu in Windows) and select it, it's then possible to look at the processes under a CPU tab. All I had to do was right click on the hanging process (which is helpfully highlighted in red) and select the Wait Chain option - this gives a treeview structure of the processes; quite useful - well I thought so anyhow winking smiley

All the best...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.