Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reserved Words in Old Database Fieldnames

Posted by Justin 
Justin
Reserved Words in Old Database Fieldnames
November 25, 2008 12:22PM
Hi All

I'm sure this is probably an old chestnut.

I am accessing an old SQL Server database (OLEDcool smiley. Some tables have a field name 'DESC' for Description. WD refuses to handle this - presumably because DESC is SQL for 'Descending'.

While I know I can create a new field in the SQL tables called 'Description' and set up a trigger to copy the value from DESC to Description on Add and Update, I'd prefer not to have to modify the database at all - since it is used by another critical application and getting agreement may prove difficult.

My previous development tool (Clarion) had no difficulty handling this kind of thing, and I think most others I've seen have some way around it - as it does crop up from time to time with existing databases. I can't find any means in Windev.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Justin
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.