Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange things

Posted by Michael Drechsel 
Michael Drechsel
Strange things
August 08, 2008 11:06AM
Hi,

today calls me a customer an told me that all records from a table are lost.
I checked this and the HF Control Center says "575 deleted records"

He just opened my application. Everyday once the program does index and backup:

HIndex(Absender,hNdxCompact,WIN_backup.PROGBAR_ProgressBar1)
HCopyFile(gctPostbook,".\_Backup\Absender.fic",gctPostbook,".\Absender.fic",hCopyIndex,PROGBAR_ProgressBar1)

The strange thing is that the copy is done and the backup-file is ok.
I don´t have any delete command in my program ...

any suggestions ???

greetings md

Thomas
Re: Strange things
August 08, 2008 12:10PM
Hello Michael,

what say's HCheckIndex(Absender)

Kind Regards

Thomas
Michael Drechsel
August 08, 2008 12:15PM
Hi Thomas,

I don´t know because I restored absender.fic from backup.
But when index and copy a succesfull and the backup file is OK, it can´t be damaged from index process ... or ?
Thomas
August 08, 2008 01:24PM
Michael,
hmhm the Hardware is OK? No Cluster Error?
Michael Drechsel
August 08, 2008 01:40PM
There is no cluster. Unfortunately I don´t have access to the server-Hardware.
The strange thing is that the records are deleted. The file is present.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 01:44PM by Michael Drechsel.
GuenterP
August 08, 2008 10:02PM

Hi Michael, this seems to be strange. But ..

.. as I can see you are doing an HCopy(..) from the actual database directory to the Standard Backup directory. The contents of the standard backup directory _Backup normally consists of compressed files with HF C/S unique filenames for each backup. Your Backup can be be done via HyperFile Control Center which puts the compressed files into \database\_Backup . My recommendation for a custom backup is to use a directory outside the HF Server directories - HCopy is made for exactly that!

Kind regards,
Guenter
Michael Drechsel
August 09, 2008 09:40AM
Hi Guenther,

thats right, but:

My customers cant´t use the standard backup because I can´t it do automat. in my programm (WD11). And IMHO the backup function in WD12 is also unusable because it creates different backup-file-names in every backup. I don´t know, why PCSoft do this and don´t give us the possibility to decide which file name we want. I ask PC Soft but they said: "Thank you for your ....In future releases ...."

greetings md
GuenterP
August 09, 2008 10:05AM
Hi Michael, imho having a different name for each complete backup from HFCC is great, because you can go back in history with restore from a given date. So, I think, that's just fine as it is and should not be changed. Of course it has to be an arbitrary name, because ALL of the files of one database are compresed into one backup file.

Your problem - as I believe - is the chosen target directory for your backups. Maybe, HF C/S plays havoc with your files because you shouldn't write there. You should choose another target directory OUTSIDE the \HF Server directory. Using a directory which is used by the system is always dangerous.

Doing a backup by a simple overwrite is another issue and very dangerous too. You can choose to name the backup-directory by date: \Backup_2008-08-09 for instance OR you could choose to have a backup for the day of month: \Backup_07 would mean that on each seventh day of a month the backups go there - so, you'd have backups for at least 28 days. Some of my customers use backups just for seven days back \Backup_Mo, \Backup_Tu and so on. So, the day of the week would guarantee for backups 6 days back.

Kind regards,
Guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2008 12:52PM by GuenterP.
Michael Drechsel
August 09, 2008 09:44PM
Hi Guenter,

every professional IT environment has a tape backup and so many versions of a database.
I would like to have a choice between backup with ONE name or backup with many different names.

greetings md
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.