Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guenter Dongle Question

Posted by Thomas 
Thomas
Guenter Dongle Question
August 26, 2008 04:19PM
Hello Günter,

you protect your software with a dongle. How do you ensure that your software will not be decompiled and thus ineffective protection of the dongle?

Kind Regrads

Thomas
Piet van Zanten
Re: Guenter Dongle Question
August 26, 2008 06:40PM
[forum.mysnip.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2008 06:41PM by Piet van Zanten.
GuenterP
August 26, 2008 06:47PM
Hi Thomas,

first, ANY protection can be circumvented. So, keep cool. Cracks exist for most of the well-known & expensive dongles. A brain-dead youngster can 'crack' them by only knowing the correct web site for a download.

Now, we're introducing a more challenging concept to wannabe-pirates: think yourself! Which in fact is harder than expected in case of WinDev software. Remember, there's p-code in memory - NOT pure assembly!

You have to use a good tool, let's say BlackIce debugger or IDA. You will be able to find any readable string for which you can search in memory. So, a guy with computer education will be able to locate the string and read its contents after decryption from the dongle. No problem.

The real trick would be to alter the license text, re-apply all checksums and to re-encrypt the whole thing in order to trick our software into thinking that the license-file is OK. The problem for those guys are complex checksum algorithms because WinDev would send them criss-cross over the runtime. So, of course, it can be cracked, but it will take onsiderable time and expertise. After that, one would have to re-encrypt the file - by which algorithm?

I'll build a sample project and let you try. You'll see yourself how hard it is!

Kind regards,
Guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2008 08:19AM by Jimbo.
Thomas
August 26, 2008 09:23PM
Hi,

thank you Piet and Guenter!
I hoped you would have a EXE Packer found, with Windev works. I am annoying the fact that any script kiddie my encryption code can read.

Kind Reagards

Thomas
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.